Grow Your Own Teacher
Welcome to the GYOT program!
GYOT candidates go through a highly-selective application, including a written essay and online interview submission.
The GYOT application period is closed for the 2018-19 school year
Harmony Public School's Grow Your Own Teacher Program (GYOT) is an innovative fellowship developed to prepare HPS's future educators and leaders. Our program provides a competitive financial opportunity – up to $20,000 for four years – for current HPS students and/or HPS graduates to pursue a bachelor's degree that leads to teacher certification.
In addition, GYOT participants will receive professional development from central office experts, one-on-one coaching from a highly qualified teacher mentor, and networking opportunities with student colleagues from across Texas. Participants will earn teacher's certification before returning to serve as an HPS classroom teacher.
To find a campus near you...
lala Open popup
Purpose of the Grow Your Own Teacher Program
As per the Vision statement of each open-enrollment charter held by Harmony Public Schools (“HPS”):
The mission of [HPS] is to prepare students for academic success in their future education, enable students to have a broad spectrum of options for their future endeavors, and to prepare them to be effective, responsible, and productive citizens.
In support of this mission and vision, the HPS Board of Directors has established the Grow Your Own Teacher Educational Assistance Program (“the GYOT Program”), which identifies and supports students and graduates of the HPS program, assisting them in attaining an undergraduate degree and a Texas teaching certificate, and then returning them to HPS in an instructional capacity that uses their experience and success in the HPS program to deliver high quality instruction to HPS students.
Harmony GYOT is an innovative program designed to identify and develop HPS students and graduates who are interested in pursuing a teaching career with Harmony Public Schools. GYOT participants receive professional development, mentoring, and networking opportunities as they complete their requirements for teacher certification. Upon completion of their degree, participants return to Harmony as qualified teachers to deliver high quality instruction to HPS students.
- Professional Development — Selected candidates will receive comprehensive professional development to prepare them to begin teaching on Day 1.
- Networking Opportunities — Participants will have access to Harmony network throughout Texas as well as access to local Harmony campuses. They will be able to interact with teachers, principals, and central office administrators before graduation!
- One-on-One coaching — Each participant will be assigned to a highly qualified mentor who will provide guidance and support throughout duration of the program—allowing participant to learn invaluable lessons from an experienced and successful participant.
- Financial Assistance — Harmony provides a financial assistance package of up to $5,000 per year while only requiring a two year commitment post-graduation.
- You are Harmony! — Only HPS students and graduates like YOU are eligible to take advantage of this program. As a student and alumni, you understand our Harmony culture, traditions, and high academic expectation. GYOT will allow you to continue growing at Harmony while helping others grow along the way!
- Extra Income — GYOT participants will work up to 19 hours at an HPS campus each week. Interns will receive bi-weekly compensation depending on exact number of hours that they work.
You will be eligible for a reimbursement of up to $20,000 to pay for tuition and fees. ($5,000 per year--$2,500 per semester). In addition, you may work up to 19 hours each week—earning $10 per hour.
In order to be eligible for GYOT, you must be an HPS high school senior who has attended HPS both his/her junior and senior year of high school and has maintained a 3.0 grade point average. You are also eligible if you are a GYOT graduate who is completing his first bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university, has maintained a 3.0 grade point average, and previously completed both his junior and senior years of high school at an HPS campus.
HPS will consider several factors in deciding what you will be teaching, including your declared major, standardized test scores, personal preference, and availability of positions at the campus level. HPS cannot guarantee specific placements but reasonable efforts will be made to match teaching assignment with your desired preference.
Our Director of Talent and Assistant Director of Talent will provide in-person and online professional development training to help you be successful in our education setting. They will have periodic “check-ins” throughout the school year to ensure that you are progressing towards your career goals. In addition, you will be paired with a teacher mentor to support you at your local campus. This individual will provide mentoring and feedback to you as you complete the program.
Yes. Please see answer to question 4 above.
Each year of service equates to 50% of the financial assistance that HPS provides. If you do not complete two years of teaching service to an HPS campus, you will be responsible for repaying entire assistance that you received. If you only complete one year, you will be responsible for paying 50% of the assistance that you received.
No. This program is only open to HPS students and/or graduates.
At the end of your teaching commitment, you will be able to choose the future direction of your career. However, our hope is that you will continue to build your career at Harmony Public Schools, increasing your career responsibilities in leadership roles.
HPS evaluates candidates holistically but note that there is a minimum 3.0 requirement that you must satisfy in order to be eligible.
For all applicants, we will reviewing the following:
- Class Rank
- Strong GPA
- Rigorous Coursework
- Extracurricular involvement, work experience, and leadership roles
- Deep desire to give back to community through education
- Willingness to learn and work hard
- Communication skills
- Recommendation letters
- Application Essay
- Application Completeness — all information is submitted in a timely and correct manner
- GYOT Application Scoring Rubric
For all applicants, we will be reviewing the following:
- Application, including signature page (please download, fill out, print, and sign the form)
- Personal Essay
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation—at least one from an HPS teacher
- Verification of College Enrollment
- HPS Transcript—includes high school GPA and attendance record
- Official college or university transcript(s)—including GPA
GYOT Alum Spotlight
|Fatma Rana Sahin-Kartal|
|Art Teacher and CCS of HSA Euless|
|Years at Harmony||1.5 years|
|Harmony Campus||HSA Dallas|
|Major||Arts and Performance, BA|
|Current role||Art Teacher and CCS of HSA Euless|
|Activities||Painting, Nail and Wire Art, Reading, Organizing Events|
|Future plans||Run own art studio|
It was a tradition in my family. My father has an educator background and growing up, he used to explain to us (we are six siblings) how fun and rewarding it was to see his students get to good places. Sometimes he would say: “I had to quit my teaching job due to other circumstances, but if I was ever given the opportunity of going back to teaching, I would jump in the air like a little kid!” I have always been interested in art, especially hands on activities, and teaching that to the youth generation has always been fun. I’m even more enthusiastic and motivated when I have very talented youngsters who are not exposed to art at home and have that opportunity of expressing themselves artistically in school.
I was told of the GYOT program by my counselor, at the time, and it motivated me to know that my alma mater was as enthusiastic as I was to help me pursue my goals. It was an opportunity for me to ensure my dreams of being a teacher would come true after I graduated from university. My “service period,” which was three years when I got into the program, ended last year but I continue to work at Harmony because I enjoy the setting. I have always studied at schools that have small settings, and teaching at a similar setting is definitely more rewarding than teaching at a school with huge numbered classes; I am able to reach out to my students in a smaller setting since we have a one-to-one teaching experience.
Harmony is like a huge family; when I am struggling at something, I can easily reach out to people in the same field and have a Mentoring 101 session. ☺ With that being said, I have a huge GYOT network at Harmony and we can share ideas and best practices when in need of help. The GYOT has helped me build my professional portfolio; it will continue to shine in my resume everywhere I go.
I have an opportunity of networking with all the Harmony alum, which provides easy access to me when I explain the benefits of being at Harmony. To know that we have the support of HPS in university through the GYOT program is very comforting since it not only provides monetary assistance throughout university, but it also guarantees an occupation immediately upon graduating. It also is easier teaching in a familiar setting and so students who are used to the Harmony atmosphere would have a better experience teaching at their alma mater rather than an unknown setting.
We are looking for talented and dedicated teachers to join Harmony Public Schools. If you know someone who would be a great fit for our organization, you could earn $350.— for referring him or her. Please read the steps carefully to learn more about our eligibility criteria, nomination window, and stipend payment.
Why Work at Harmony Public Schools?
- Collaborative, caring, and safe work environment with support and mentoring
- Many opportunities for advancement, career growth and development
- Schools of CHOICE with strong parental involvement
- High performing schools
- State of the art technology
- Comprehensive health package and benefits
- TRS participant
Throughout the year Harmony Public Schools continuously seeks high-quality applicants to fill a wide range of positions available at our 56 campuses and many departments. We encourage you to explore the Job Seekers section of the website to learn more information about career opportunities and the benefits of working in Harmony Public Schools.
Harmony Public Schools offer excellent benefits:
Harmony Public Schools Salary Schedule for Certified Teachers
Please click on the city for information as to teacher compensation
Annual Stipends for Hard-to-Staff Subject Areas
|Mathematics (Grades 4 & up)||$2,000|
|Science (Grades 4 & up)||$2,000|
|English Language Arts/Reading (Grades 4 & up)||$1,000|
|Social Studies (Grades 4 & up)||$1,000|
|Generalist (Grades K-3)||$1,000|
|Computer/Technology Applications (Grades 4 & up)||$2,000|
|Bilingual/ESL/GT (Grades K-12)||$2,000|
|Special Education (Grades K-12)||$2,000|
Supplemental Duty Stipends
Supplemental Duty 2017 - 2018
|Teachers who perform the supplemental duties outlined in the table below are eligible to receive the corresponding stipends as indicated. Each supplemental duty may have special provisions stated in the HPS Compensation Manual.|
|District Department Chair||$1,000|
|Campus Department Chair||$2,000|
|HPS System Course Leader||$2,500|
|Dual Credit Teacher||$1,000|
|Mentor Teacher||$ 750|
|Saturday Extra Duty||$ 25/hour|
|Summer School||$ 30/hour|
|Curriculum Writers stipend||$ 200 per day|
- Teachers holding a valid (standard, 1 year, probationary, lifetime which is not expired) Texas teaching certificate at the time of hiring/rehiring will be entitled to the salary schedule.
- HPS may hire teachers with a bachelor’s degree who do not hold a valid teaching certification. However, non-certified teachers will receive a $2000 reduction from the base salary schedule.
- Texas standard certified Math, Science, ELA, Social Studies, and generalist teachers are eligible an additional stipend of $500, if they hold an ESL endorsement in their standard certifications.
- A teacher is not eligible for certification compensation in 2016-2017 school year, if the teacher becomes certified after 5:00 PM on December 1st. It is the employee’s responsibility to notify Human Resources Department of the certification status before this date.
- The Texas teaching certificate must be reflected on the SBEC’s website.
- Teachers who hold a Master’s degree will receive an additional $1000 annually.
- Teachers who hold a Doctoral degree will receive an additional $2500 annually (no additional $1000 for Masters).
- All years of claimed creditable years of experience must be documented. It is the employee’s responsibility to submit original documentation (service records, employment letters, etc.) Foreign documents must be translated into English, transcripts, and diplomas must be evaluated by an evaluation institution in US. It is the responsibility of the foreign authority to provide relevant, and accurate information before any credit is granted. Such experience is considered on a case by case basis.
- Service Records and or Employment Verification Letters should be on a company letterhead, have a physical signature, state the position the employee held, as well as the dates they worked there.
Continuous efforts are made throughout the year to recognize employees who make an extra effort to contribute to the success of Harmony Public Schools at the end of each semester. HPS encourages all faculty/staff members to participate in team building activities to create a positive, caring and welcoming school culture.
Harmony Public School’s Staff Recognition Program is designed to create a positive school environment and increase staff motivation, retention rate, and loyalty to the school system in order to better serve students for greater academic achievement, and social development.
Teacher Appreciation Week is a special week for the recognition of teachers, and may include celebrations to honor them for their special contributions in the community in general.
This week is set aside to show respect for the teaching profession in general. It focuses on understanding how difficult it is to deal with young people who have very different minds, sometimes complicated personal lives and backgrounds.
This week will give attention to the fact that teachers work without cessation to help children reach academic milestones, develop awareness of different cultures and cultivate personal knowledge.
It is the responsibility of Harmony Public Schools to have a well organized Teacher Appreciation Week for all staff members.
Faculty members are strongly encouraged to attend all team building activities including Thanksgiving Events, Winter break Events, School Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner engagements, Cooking Classes, Sports, Camping Trips, Parent Teacher Conferences, Appreciation Events, and meetings or events sponsored by school administrators.
Traveling is the best educational experience. Nothing in a classroom can compare with actually seeing the world. Traveling abroad can have beneficial outcomes for employees who get the privilege. It gives staff a different perspective and a better understanding of history. It shows diversity, differences in languages and gives people insight to the rest of the world around them. Visiting a different country, learning about contrasting ways of living and thinking, and perhaps integrating these experiences into their own value systems. This research is supported by the valuable feedback given from Harmony Public School’s teachers who have traveled with students to places such as Italy, Spain, Greece and even Mexico!
Record Request Forms
Employee Record Request Form
Before submitting the form please fill it out thoroughly, provide accurate dates and select a method of delivery.
Missing or inaccurate information may delay the process.
How do I request a service record?
You must fill out our online form, sign it, and request that original service records be sent by mail, email, or fax.
How long does it take to receive my records once I request them?
The HR team works diligently to send your request as soon as possible. Please be aware that processing times vary. Upon receipt of your request, an email will be sent letting you know the estimated processing time.
What if I need a verification of employment for loan purposes, etc.?
The company making the request may email or fax the form.
|Type of Correspondence||Address|
Human Resources Dept.
9321 W Sam Houston Pkwy S
Houston, TX 77099
|Fax:||(713) 904-2415 ATTN: Records|
|Employee Records Request Form|
Leave Request Forms
To request Emergency leave, an employee must complete an Employee Request For
Leave Form as well as provide documentation of the natural disaster and
Employee Request for Leave Form
To request firstname.lastname@example.org, an employee must complete an Employee Request For Leave Form and have their doctor complete the Department of Labor’s WH-380-E form (for employee) or the Department of Labor’s WH-380-F form (for a family member), and submit it to
Upon approval of your FMLA request, Short Term Disability Information will be shared with you and you will be forwarded to the benefits department.
Documentation for any of the above leave types may also be faxed or mailed to:
|Type of Correspondence||Address|
Human Resources Dept.
9321 W Sam Houston Pkwy S
Houston, TX 77099
|Fax:||(713) 904-2415 ATTN: Leave|
Should you have any questions regarding leaves, please email the Human Resources Department at email@example.com.